Pages

Friday, February 17, 2012

A Balanced Life

We need moderation in life. We need balance. It may sound a little “Eastern thought-ish” at first, but it is such truth when considered through a Christian worldview and Biblical mindset.

This week, I did not have balance. I did not exercise moderation. I had too many hours of work, and not enough hours with my family. I had too much judgment, and not enough mercy. I had too much worry and not enough faith. I had too much food, and not enough (or any) exercise. I had too much busyness, and not enough quiet. I had too much stress, and not enough peace. I had too much world, and not enough Jesus.

None of this was intentional of course, but apparently this week (and many others), balance was not a priority of mine.

Ecclesiastes paints the perfect explanation of why we need moderation. Solomon tried everything in excess, and was never satisfied, never fruitful. He goes on to talk about how there is a time for everything, a season for everything. People often refer to this in regard to longer time frames and broader concepts, but it can be applied to our daily lives as well. In our 24 hour days, there are hours for working, and hours for resting. There are hours for eating, and hours for exercising. There are hours for activities, and hours for rest. There are hours for mercy and hours for exercising Biblical judgment (don’t hear me wrong here, it’s not our place to judge people, however, we are allowed to have righteous indignation about certain laws and policies and fight for justice on behave of those who have no voice).

As my week, and I’m sure many others’ weeks have demonstrated, if we don’t make it a priority to have balance in our lives, we miss the mark. The world is a busy place, we are busy people, and we have responsibilities and obligations. It’s very easy to live a life without balance. But there’s no peace in that life. And I’m willing to bet there’s much less room for true joy to abound.

Without balance and peace, we’re much less effective for God’s cause. Can we truly serve effectively when we’re stretched too thin? Can we truly love fully when we also harbor judgment? Can we truly spend time with God if we’re preoccupied with other things? Can we truly have peace if our mind is full of worry?

Ironically, the things God tells us to do in excess are the things we all tend to do in moderation. Give, serve, love, witness….but that's a whole other post...

I pray that we all try to prioritize balance in our lives. That we find more time for the things God calls us too, and less time for worldly things. I pray that we allow peace and joy to abound in us by practicing moderation.

Be blessed this weekend,
Jill

No comments: