Pages

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Back Story

Sometimes it takes me a long time to understand exactly what God wants me to do. Last winter I was working on a project with a friend at a coffee shop when a disheveled woman walked in. After she ordered her coffee she came and sat close to where I was working. And then I heard her quiet voice say "you are so pretty. I was pretty when I was younger but now my mother tells me I am ugly." These words were flowing from the mouth of a women in her middle 50's and they went through me like a knife. I quickly replies to her and told her that she was not at all ugly, I smiled and went back to  my task at hand. A few moments later I heard another voice, quietly urging me to tell her that "I think she is beautiful for she is one of my creations". I heard the message and said to myself "Ok God, as soon as I am finished with "my important work" I will tell her what YOU had to say". Ugh. By the time I was done she had left and I felt terrible for I knew I had failed to touch someone with the love of my God because I thought what I was doing was so important. I pleaded with HIM over the next days and weeks to please put that woman in my path and I promised HIM that I would stop my car and tell her. But HE didn't create that divine appointment for me a second time.

Months passed and still I remembered the words that I failed to share and more importantly the message that I failed to share. God has worked in me this year highlighting and contrasting what the world values as beautiful and what HE values as beautiful. He reminded me of how HE took my life and made me over, bestowing a crown of beauty instead of ashes (Isaiah 61:3b) . As I have followed Jesus and learned to make myself more like HIM, I have become increasing more beautiful. That may sound conceited to say I know I  am beautiful however, I say that looking from God's point of view not the world's view. I know this because it is Christ that lives within me that makes me beautiful.

In 2 Corinthians 3:18 the apostle Paul tells us that when we live our life in the presence of God , when there is" Nothing between us and God, our faces shining with the brightness of his face.  And so we are transfigured much like the Messiah,our lives gradually becoming brighter and more beautiful as God enters our lives and we become like him" (The Message).  When I am worshiping or serving at the soup kitchen I feel more beautiful then ever, when I am intentional about being connected to my Jesus through His Word and in conversing with Him I feel the shine on my face from being in His Presence. I feel Beauty Full.

Here we are .almost a year later and God has allowed me  to begin to bring HIS message to women  to "Let the King be enthralled  by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord." (Psalm 45:11 NIV) . I have confidence that God used another to share HIS message with the woman from the coffee shop and HE used that experience to prompt my heart to live and share this message. I will be sharing my thoughts, stories and encouragements here from my journey in seeking to honor HIM above all things and living  Beauty Full  for HIS Glory.

Shine On Beautiful!!!

No comments: