Pages

Saturday, December 17, 2011

One Thing

What is the "one thing" that you want for Christmas this year? Is it a new phone or a new "Vera" handbag, a new piece of jewelry? What  about the "one thing" you want for the upcoming year? Do you want a raise or a new job? Do you want a cleaner house, less bickering among your children, more time for exercising? During this Holiday season we spend a great deal of time thinking about what we want for Christmas  and then we move right into what we want for our life in the new year ahead.

In Psalm 27:4 David writes " One thing I ask of the LORD, this only do I seek ; that I may dwell n the house of the LORD all the days of my life,to gaze on the beauty of the LORD  and to seek him in his temple. (emphasis mine) All through out the Psalms we read about the single mindedness of David.. ALL he wanted was the LORD, to be with the LORD!!! That was his greatest treasure. David didn't spend all his time seeking riches, he sought the LORD.

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is there your heart will also be." (Matthew 6:19-21NIV ) Jesus is my greatest treasure and HE has my heart, I am head over heels in love with Jesus. And I would even go so far as to say that HE is the main focus of MOST of my days and out of all my life endeavours the LORD is who I MOST consistently and diligently seek after. However, when I compare my devotion to David I fall a little bit short. Can  honestly say that the distractions of the world, the things that can be stolen or eaten by moths do not often get in the way of the one thing I know I most want? No, I can't say that. There are days, sometimes weeks or seasons where I am distracted by other things in my life and God becomes one of many things that I seek after.

Like my dearly loved sisters in the bible, Martha and Mary, I get easily distracted by things of the world like Martha did when entertaining Jesus at her home. I let the worldly traditions of  even this very Christmas season take me away from the feet of Jesus. Martha's sister, Mary had the right idea when she refrained from the hubub and sat  at the feet of Jesus listening. In Luke10:42 Jesus tells Martha "but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better and it will not be taken from her." (NIV)

We have a choice in what we deem important in our lives. We can choose the "one thing". We can choose Jesus. We can choose HIM this Christmas and we can choose HIM  for the new year and ever after. And if we do , it will not be taken from us.

As I reflect over my "wants" for Christmas and the upcoming year I know that I want MORE of Jesus. And I will pray daily and ask  "one thing of the LORD that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life to gaze on the beauty of the LORD".

Choosing Jesus,
ruthann







No comments: