Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Corn Mazes and Worship

Pumpkins and apples, gourds and corn mazes mark the Fall season. It is my favorite time of the year.  I enjoy going to my local orchard for apple cider and fresh hot, crispy old fashioned donuts and picking out just the right pumpkin but I don't like corn mazes.

I have only been in one corn maze in my lifetime and that's because I got miserably lost. It was a very small maze, not one of those mammoth mazes that are advertised but I still could not find my way out. No matter which path I chose it did not lead to my desired destination, the exit.

It was extremely frustratin to be so close to where I wanted to go but not be able to get there. Each path I chose seemed like it was going to be the one but it wasn't. To add to my frustration there were people that were passing me that had made it to the end and were going through a second and third time.

Finally, I had enough and I decided to follow someone that knew the way out. What a relief it was to get to where I had wanted to go all along.

Worship can be just as frustrating as getting lost in a corn maze.

"We can take whatever path in worship we choose, but not all paths will end at the feet of Jesus." A.W.Tozer

The most important destination in my life is getting to the feet of Jesus and for all too long I chose the wrong path.  I chose my own way and I was frustrated that I couldn't get to HIM.

Finally I had enough and I decided to study how others that had made it to the feet of Jesus got there. I studied the life of King David, Mary of Bethany and others who had intimate experiences of worship with God.

I danced before HIM, bowed down, stretched my hands and my heart up to meet HIM and sat down at HIS feet and worshiped.

There is no other place quite like the feet of Jesus. So don't give up until you get there.

Humbly,
ruthann


No comments: