Pages

Friday, June 8, 2012

The Hope in Disappointment

Unfortunately, life post-Eden comes with disappointment. I’ve spent the last few weeks wrestling with disappointment; with how to handle it, with where to go from here. Many people and circumstances will disappoint us. The trick is to not have all our hope tied up into people and things, but an almighty God who never disappoints.

We talked about prayer last Friday and I’m so thankful that God hears us. I’m thankful that He can bear the disappointment that I can’t. I’m thankful that He is stronger, that His words are wiser, and that his heart is bigger.

I’m sure that Abraham was disappointed when he hadn’t had any of the children God promised. I’m sure Joseph was disappointed when his own brothers sold him into slavery. I’m sure Job was disappointed when Satan was allowed to rip everything away from him. I’m sure Joshua was disappointed when he got to Jericho to find impenetrable walls. I’m sure Daniel was disappointed when he was tossed into a lion’s den. I’m sure David was disappointed when he wasn’t allowed into battle. I’m sure the disciples were disappointed when their Christ was murdered and died on a cross...I’m sure all these people were disappointed because the Bible tells their stories so vividly. These were real people with real emotions.

The wonderful thing about disappointment is that faith in God will always lead to redemption. Abraham’s disappointment was redeemed with a son in his old age.  Joseph ended up saving an entire population. Job’s faithfulness during time of great disappointment resulted in God restoring his life with added blessings. Joshua was able to see a huge display of God’s faithfulness when the walls of Jericho came tumbling down. Daniel saw God’s faithfulness when he was rescued miraculously from the lion’s den and a heathen king came to know God. David killed a giant, became king who lead a great nation and became the man after God’s own heart. The disciple’s disappointment was short lived when they realized that their Christ had not died on that cross at all, but rose to live and reign forever after paying the price for all human sin...

You see, God redeems disappointment. Maybe not in the way we would always expect, but I can tell you this, you should definitely expect something. Our God always shows up. Yesterday, Jan talked about wanting closure, about wanting to see something all the way through. When we have faith and hope and expectancy in God, disappointment is never the end. There’s always hope for something better....

Psalm 31:24- Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord.

Jeremiah 17:7- Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him.

My current favorite worship song is called “Hope Anthem” by William Matthew read some of the words below:

My hope is in You, God
I’m steadfast, I will not be moved
I’m anchored, never shaken
All my hope is in You

He’s bringing hope to the hopeless
And giving His heart to the broken
And sharing His home with the orphan
He is the joy, He is my joy
He is the hope of the nations
The Father’s heart we’re embracing
He is the song we’re declaring
He is the joy, He is my joy

If you’re disappointed by someone or some circumstance, have hope. The story is not over. People will always disappoint us and life will always have its days. But God continues to consume us with love and grace and faithfulness. Let’s cast our disappointment aside, and hope in Him alone.

Be blessed this weekend.
Jill

This week I’ll be praying:
Sat: for all the recent graduates
Sun: for my church
Mon: for my job/co-workers
Tue: for my spouse (or significant other, future/unknown spouse...)
Wed: for those in my life who need healing
Thurs: for my family and friends who do not yet know God

No comments: