Pages

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Wandering

Last week, Jill posted the song Forever Reigns by Hillsong.  If it had been my week to share a Monday post, I would have posted the same song.  Maybe it's because we both heard it at church that weekend, maybe it's just because it's such a good song.

It's one of those songs that I feel no matter where I'm at.

I bought some new music today, including Forever Reigns.  I bought the Shane and Shane version, which I would highly recommend.  There's not a song that's been written that Shane and Shane can't make 450% better.

So, on my ride to and from my office, a meeting, and the store, I listened, to basically the same few songs- some Air Supply, some country, and Forever Reigns.

The line that hits me every time is in the second verse:

You are true, You are true, even in my wandering

I am a wanderer.

In every way one can wander, I do.

My mind wanders, almost constantly. I think about tomorrow, and yesterday, and people in my life, and people not in my life. I think about situations that haven't happened yet, and I can replay situations that have happened down to the millisecond.  I plan for the future, I regret the past.

My heart wanders, not constantly, but consistently to the wrong things. Contentedness is not a virtue I have even come close to achieving.

The rest of me wanders, as much as it can.
The 2 years I have lived here in the yellow house is the longest I have lived anywhere since high school.  I have lived in Massachusetts, New York, Rhode Island- 6 different towns, 9 different homes. And I loved it.  I loved apartment hunting, and I really loved house hunting, even though we were looking for the most deteriorated house we could find! I love moving, unpacking, starting fresh. I love learning new routes and back roads.

When I can't sleep, I drive. When I wake up early, I drive. When I'm bored, I drive. When I have too much to do, and can't focus on any of it, I drive. When something bad happens, I drive. The singular activity of driving calms me. Wanderer.

There are a lot of things we face in this day and age that are not represented in the Bible. Wandering is not one of those things.

When the Israelites wandered through the wilderness, God was faithful.

When Hosea's wife wandered from her marriage, God was faithful, and so was Hosea.

When Jonah 'wandered' (at high speeds), God gave him a second chance. 

While the prodigal son was wandering away from his home, squandering his inheritance, his father was waiting faithfully for his return.

When the disciples wandered after his crucifixion, Jesus gave them opportunities to return to Him.


Some of my other favorite lines:

-You are hope, You are hope, You have covered all my sin

-You are peace, You are peace, when my fear is crippling

-You are here, You are here, in Your presence I'm made whole

I tend to like lyrics that project where I currently am, but this one tells me where I need to go.

- You are God, You are God, of all else I'm letting go

As much as I love wandering, I'm smart enough to know that I'm not just going to wander into that place. I need to purposely put myself there.

Easier said than done for a wanderer like me.

Brooke









No comments: