Pages

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Tangible

Matthew 7:11 says, "If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!"

I'm a tangible kinda girl.. I like things I can see and touch and understand.

I don't doubt that God is good, and that He loves us, and forgives us, and that, like the verse above says, He wants to give us good gifts.

I don't doubt that He is sovereign, compassionate, and that He knows our beginnings and our ends better than we could ever understand.

I don't doubt Him. But, sometimes I'm stupid. Sometimes I get caught up in all the bad stuff, and I forget to look for the good. Sometimes I get nitpicky about the little things, and I forget about the big things.

But last Friday morning, He reminded me.

After a 2:15am phone call, a middle-of-the-night search for a 24 hour gas station within 6 miles of my house (cause that's all the gas I had), and what felt like a MILLION hours pacing a waiting room, I walked back in to Labor and Delivery Room 7 to see my best friend and her brand new baby girl. I saw smiles and tears and tiny fingers and open searching eyes.  I watched a new daddy hold the first newborn he's ever held, his own. I saw promise, and hope, and laughter. I saw love and joy.

And I was reminded.. God is good. He loves us. He knows our beginnings and our endings. He gives good gifts.

Yes, we struggle with bad things in this world. Yes, we are all fighting about women's rights, and baby's rights, and voter's rights, and every other right there is to fight about.  Yes, we are fighting for freedoms in other countries that most of us enjoy every day. Yes, we are wondering what happen to our country in the next 4 years. Yes, people are hungry, and homeless, and sick, and disabled, and lonely.  Yes, there is crime in our cities, and overcrowding in our jails. Yes, we can't pay our bills, and yes the economy doesn't seem to be getting any better.

But God is good. He loves us. He knows our beginnings and our endings.  He gives good gifts.

Be Blessed and Hopeful,

Brooke

No comments: