Pages

Friday, July 6, 2012

Awe and Wonder

As I drove up to Waltham this Wednesday I admired God’s handy work as we passed forests of trees on the side of the highway. Now that summer is here and plant life is in full bloom, from an elevated point on the road, it looked like a jungle around us, with no visible sign on man’s intrusion. At times, I get caught up in the intricate design of something so seemingly simple, like a tree. I am fascinated time and time again by how beautiful a place God has made for us.

When I lived in Virginia I would follow the constellation Orion from where I worked all the way across the city, down the highway, and up the mountain to my apartment. On my ride home last night, an enormous yellow-orange moon served as my guide up 295. I had a worshipful spirit as my mind tried to fathom the vast expanse of sky above me

One of my favorite memories from living in Virginia was driving on The Blue Ridge Parkway in the fall. I lived in a city that was tucked in a valley surround by mountains. Each morning on my walk to class all I had to do was lift my head to see the colorful mountains surrounding me. I was immediately aware of just how small I was.

I’m sure you’ve had moments when you’re staring into a picturesque landscape and wondering how you have the privilege of viewing such sights. Staring out at a beautiful and vast ocean, gazing at the stars on a clear night, looking out into the most magnificent mountains...I get overcome with wonder and awe when I remember some of the things of this earth I’ve seen.

Tonight as I was thinking about that moon, all the sudden a verse popped into my head, “I am fearfully and wonderfully made.”....I...ME.

I look at these scenes, and I think about the intricacies of this created planet and I’m full of awe and wonder at God’s creation...rarely do I think of myself that way. Or any another person for that matter. (With, of course, the exception of newborn babies.)

I think of that verse to remind me that I was created in God’s image, and that I have a purpose, and that I matter to God. But I have never really thought about it with the words and emotions it actually uses. “Fearfully” and “wonderfully” made... When God looks down on us, perhaps he has the same feelings we get as we look at the mountains, or ocean, or sky. “Look at that amazing design.” “Look at the beauty and intricacy of that creation, my creation”

I felt love last night as I looked at that moon. Because the same God who created the galaxies, created me. The same God who painted the mountain ranges, designed every fiber of my being.

When I look at it that way, it is impossible not to be in awe of God. It is impossible not to have a worshipful spirit. It is impossible not to want to serve Him and give Him the very best of the life He gave me.

God has created us full of beauty, whether of not we choose to see it, is up to us.

In Him,
Jill

No comments: