Pages

Friday, July 13, 2012

Lighthouses

I think we have a hard time sometimes- deciding how best to tell people about God, or the Bible, or Jesus. We get nervous about deep and meaningful conversations, or committing to relationships with people who are emotionally draining, or engage in behaviors that, quite frankly, terrify us to address.
Instead, we debate politics and scholars and scientists and popular culture. We protest and picket. We attend church and serve those who already know Jesus. We form “safe relationships” and talk about “safe” topics. We avoid the real stuff. The stuff that changes lives.
I don’t know how you came to know God, but I’m betting it probably wasn’t from watching some Christian debate some Atheist. It probably wasn’t watch a political debate between a conservative and liberal.
For me, it was relationships. It was because God put people in my life who wouldn’t give up on me when I was a fool. It’s because some of those people weren’t afraid to have terrifying conversations with me. It’s because I saw the way those people lived and wand the joy and peace that they had.
D.L. Moody once said, “A holy life will produce the deepest impression. Lighthouses blow no horns; they only shine. “
We’re called to be light. We don’t reach people by blowing political horns, or by loudly debating good vs. evil and right vs. wrong. We reach people with relationships. We reach people with love and peace.
I’m not saying there’s not a time to boldly proclaim, or debate, or protest. But I am saying, that the majority of lives, are reached through relationships, with lighthouses. We can’t be fearful to have those terrifying conversations with people.
We can’t be so judgmental that we won’t befriend someone who is engaging in behavior that we don’t approve of.  We must do it with caution and protection so we don’t slip, but that fear shouldn’t stop us entirely.
When you hear a foghorn up close what do you usually do? Walk close and embrace it? No, you probably cover your ears and back away. There’s a time and a place to be a foghorn, and I’m afraid that we use that excuse and option too often, and in replace of entering into challenging relationships.
Are we really so arrogant as to not consider how challenging WE must be in our relationship with a holy GoD?? I don’t know about you, but I’m not always sweet as pie to deal with… And He does it anyways.
We should do it anyways.
A few weeks ago, my Pastor said, "God teaches us to love by giving us people who are unlovable." Relationships with those people, is how we lead them to God.


Enjoy you’re weekend!
Jill

No comments: