Pages

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Community

Ask anyone who knows me well enough (there aren't many) and they'll tell you that I don't like new people. I don't like meeting new people, talking to new people. I dread the greet your neighbor part of church. If they did that part before the worship, I'd time it and sit in the car until it was over. I don't let very many people get past that "new person" stage.  I don't like my people meeting new people. They threaten my place in life. Or something like that anyways. 

In Jill's post a few weeks ago, she said "There’s a reason we’re built for companionship and relationships...There’s power in community."

She's right. I was built for relationships. Community. I don't like it, but I need it. Too often I'm content sharing life with just my people. I love them. They know me. They know my history. They love me just the same. I don't have to give any back story, I don't have to dredge up my whole life again.

But sometimes I need to. It offers me different perspectives. From other people, but from myself as well.

I know my story really well. It's my story after all. I know all the feelings, and where they came from at this point. I remember the details.  And when I'm with people who know my story just as well, I don't have to recount it. I don't have to say it out loud.

I was telling my 'story' the other night, in a small group (with new people!) and I said something that I'd said and thought a million times before.  And I realized that I didn't feel that way anymore. I'm used to feeling that way.  But I don't anymore. I've grown up. Faced it. Forgiven. Apparently. But it wasn't until telling the story to someone who didn't already know it that I realized it.
  

God uses things we don't like to teach us. Sometimes it's that annoying person who teaches us grace and patience. Sometimes it's that consequence to our sin that we were hoping to get by without. Sometimes it's a health issue, telling us we need to slow down and rest more. Sometimes it's the removal of people we rely on more than God.  The bad part of the equation is sometimes painful, but the good that comes of it is always worth it. The lessons we learn, the character we build.

This time, it was a the uncomfortable act of bearing part of myself to people who I don't know yet, or trust yet. But what He taught me is that something else I don't like - some of the feelings associated with my past, my childhood, don't exist anymore. Something that once defined me, stopped. And I didn't even realize it.

Sometimes we need bad things to realize good things. The evil of Joseph's brothers saved those same brothers from famine. Esther had to risk potential death in order to save her people. Christ willingly faced certain death to offer us life.

For me, 'community' is a risk. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's evil, but I'm definitely more content to stick with people I already know. But I also think that some of the best things in life come out of risks we take.

Lately, I even want to take the risk of community.. and I know myself well enough to know that desire isn't coming from me.  I have to wonder what else God is waiting to show me, if only I'll take the risk.

I don't have to wonder if He'll be right there with me through every uncomfortable "Nice to meet you".  :)


Be blessed,

Brooke

At the top of the page, you'll notice a new "About Us" tab.  For those of you who don't know us all, check it out and you'll find some pictures of us all, and a little bit of info about who we are!















No comments: