Pages

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Find a Happy Place

In the Disney movie "Finding Nemo" there is a starfish named Peaches that lives in a fish tank at a dentist office When Peaches thinks that it will be sucked up into the filter it exclaims "Find a Happy Place! Find a Happy Place! Find a Happy Place!" while desperately clinging to the side of the tank.

I have also been known to shout out or mumble  "Find a Happy Place! Find a Happy Place!"from time to time. I am not afraid of getting sucked into a filter but there are plenty of  less than desirable situations that I could easily  be sucked into if I didn't run to my happy place.

 Do you know what I mean? The day that the kids are quarreling without ceasing? The day that nothing seems to go smoothly? The day that people try to take you captive in an ugly situation? The day you get some  REALLY bad news? The day you "lose it" by  spewing venom on those you love?

We all face days like this on an all too regular basis however, there is good news. As Christians we have been given access to a very happy place.

This "happy place" is not the slippery side of a fish tank but rather a refuge with  our unfailing, unchanging, and  merciful God. It is at HIS side listening to HIM that we can find peace and be lifted above any situation.

"My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me." Psalm 63:8

The Message translation says "I hold on to you for dear life, and you hold me steady as a post." (Psalm 63:8)

There are some days that I feel like my clinging has turned from a grasp to a holding on for "dear life"!

I want more than anything to continue to hold on to Jesus for "my dear life" because HE is what brings me life! HIS Word brings me life!!!! HIS Presence makes my life so dear. Therefore, I desperately need to spend time sitting at HIS feet. So I run to the secret place, my happy place where HE is waiting for me. It is in being there with HIM that allows my soul to cling to Him

"When you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father, who is in the secret place; and your Father, who sees in secret will reward you openly " (Matthew 6:6 NKJV)


No matter what happens in our day we can always go into a quiet secret place in our heart (room), free of distractions (shut the door) and talk (pray) to our Father. It is here that we learn more about HIM. We learn to know HIS Voice. It is here that HE can talk to us in the quiet places of our hearts and change us. It is here that HE  create a more beauty full us (reward).

The beautiful thing with the secret place is that it is not reserved for stressful situations only. We can go to this beauty full secret place anytime day or night!!!!


I leave you today with the first verse of the song "Take Me Into The Beautiful" by Cloverton.

Take me into the Beautiful
Won't you take me back again.
With a Love unexplainable 
Come and fill up this dry land.
Let it open our eyes to a world we've never seen.
Let it open our hearts up to feel YOU inside of us.

Run to the Secret Place and be beauty full,
ruthann






No comments: