Pages

Thursday, March 15, 2012

In HIS Name

I’ve been walking with a friend lately. We try to head out real early in the morning several days a week, walking briskly to counter the briskness of the air. We talk, we walk, we pray together for all kinds of things. Throughout the winter we’ve always used the outdoor path around the local YMCA. Cold at times, but it’s a great way to greet the day. Walking (pun intended) out our faith, or at least trying to.

We have offered up prayers for those who come in and out of the doors there. They represent a good sampling of the people in our greater community, so it has sort of made us more conscious of the focus of our prayers, which are the numerous souls that are so precious to God. Ones that don’t know him real well and those who do.

Our conversations have been sprinkled with concerns and testimonies, yearnings and learnings. Some days our hearts have rejoiced. On others they have been heavy and burdened. You know, just like your days, I bet.

One morning I sat in the “Y’s” back parking lot waiting for my friend to arrive. It was a Saturday, which is an extremely bustling day at the YMCA. I inadvertently began people watching and gathered a whole new perception of their lives.

Now I certainly don’t presume to know where each one stands; whether they have or don’t have a personal faith. But I was taken with the thought that there seemed to be such an urgency in their coming to the “Y”. Couples, singles, elderly, young adults, large and small families, all exited their cars, heading in one direction, into a place for fitness, social connection, fun, challenges, therapy, endurance building, a float in the pool, a competition, a class.

The souls trailing before me were all on a mission to improve either their physical, social, mental, emotional, or developmental health. Some may have landed there because of an invitation from a friend, a competitive spirit, a doctor’s suggestion, an upcoming class reunion, or a penchant to sweat. No doubt a few may have acquired a free pass, but most had to pay a substantial membership fee to attend.

That got me thinking how many of them have the same resolve, commitment, or habits in addressing the condition of their spiritual health.

The world is continually bombarding us with ideas to self improve. Some are worthy; some not so much.

How do we, as believers, make the statement to others that self-improvement is ok, but God-improvement should be the principal thing?

How many are fit-for-life, but aren’t yet fit-for-after-life? Now I don’t mean to be morbid; just practical. Because, you see, it saddens me that many of those same people marching into the "Y" have never strolled into a church or a Bible study. Many have never even heard any spiritual health tips. They’ve not met the Great Physician or even heard of him.

It got me thinking that we all speak so readily about some things but not others. We ask God for opportunities to speak of HIM but we don’t always put ourselves into them when they present themselves. I was reminded that exercising my faith entails more than just walking in circles.

The other day when my friend and I went walking we took a route through town instead of the “Y”. We walked past several churches, schools, town offices and local businesses. Our talk and prayers were pretty much the same as usual.

We passed a man sitting on a bench; the one frequently occupied by some of our town’s homeless. I recognized him from school days past, called his name, we exchanged hellos and I continued on my way. But something about his face made me think about him all the way back to our cars.

As my friend went her way to work I was stirred to drive back to the place where the man had been. I conversed with God about what I would say if the man was still there when I got there.

He was still seated on the bench, head lowered. I pulled up nearby, rolled down my window and asked him if he was alright. With despairing eyes he looked up and answered, “Not really”. As I pulled over and motioned him over to my car, he began to freely share some of the reasons for his despair. He declared he had a few meager plans to tackle some of his pressing issues. But I knew those would not be enough.

I so wanted to do something for him. Wisdom seemed to speak profoundly to me that my part this time was not to offer money, a meal, a ride or clichés. Mine was to do something a little like Peter did when he said in Acts 3:6 “Silver and gold I do not have, but what I have I give you. In the name of Jesus . . .”

 So I spoke to him about the ONE who has a better plan for his life. I told him that apart from trusting in God and in His Son, Jesus, the very best plans for his life could not come to pass. Choices may have gotten him to where he was, but one right choice could begin to get him out.

And then I invited him to church. I informed him of a men’s group. I spoke of my pastor as a resource. I gave testimony about men I knew who had fallen into places just like he had, but who, by the mercy and grace of God, had been changed. I prayed and spoke blessings over him.

He listened. He nodded. He pondered. He hoped. He thanked.
As I drove away with tears in my eyes, I prayed. I pondered. I hoped. I thanked. And then I prayed some more.

Hebrews 3:13a "But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today. . ." 

Gratefully HIS,
Jan

No comments: