Pages

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Make it Personal

 The words of a tiny voice caught my attention as I passed by some small children playing on the floor of the church. "Mine, Mine...it's mine" the little voice exclaimed  clutching a treasured toy.

Children seem to instinctively become possessive of the things that they deem important. No one has to teach a two year old to proclaim what belongs to them. If you have ever been around one you can attest to that.

My boys each had a special object that they became attached to at an early age. One of them had a beloved "blankie"  and the other a little bear named "Bubba". Blankie and Bubba went through many experiences with the boys. If they were frightened or hurt they wanted "My Bubba" or "My Blankie". When they were tired or faced with a new situation they didn't just want to be with the blankie or the bear but rather with "My Bubba" and " My Blankie", these were personal, these were their friends.

 They  knew these items so well that they could not be fooled by any look-a-likes. Believe me I tried to substitute a new, clean blanket for the old one and it did NOT work for a second. They each  knew everything about their own personal "friend". They knew the special scent and where every tear and scar was placed.

I can recall, as if it were yesterday the frantic searches for a misplaced  Bubba or Blankie. The tears and anguish when one of the boys realized that their treasured friend was gone and they didn't know where to find it.

And I remember the peace and joy that overcame them when it was finally found.

They asked her, "Woman, why are you crying?" "they have taken my Lord away," she said, "and I don't know where they have put him."
 John 20:13 NIV (emphasis mine)

Mary Magdalene had gone to the tomb where she had known Jesus to have been buried and when she found it empty she was frantic. After all, she hadn't come just to be with the Lord , she had come to be with "my Lord"!!

Mary had a relationship with Jesus. Jesus had brought her healing. Jesus had brought her comfort. Jesus  was her everything! Mary had a personal connection to Jesus.

As the account continues Jesus  reveals Himself by saying her name, "Mary". When she realizes it is her Lord  she grabs on to Him so tightly as if to never let go. Jesus actually has to to tell her "Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet returned to the Father." (John 20:17a)

I can imagine Mary holding on to Jesus and repeating "my Lord, my Lord, my Lord" over and over as she clings to her beloved Jesus. Like a child after finding their treasured friend, Mary was undone by the presence of her treasured friend and Savior.

This Sunday, Resurrection Sunday, I hope to pass by groups of children AND adults at church and over hear them saying" Mine", "Mine", "Jesus is Mine", "Jesus is MY LORD"!

Humbly,
ruthann



No comments: