Pages

Friday, May 4, 2012

Growing Newer



                                               Me             Brooke             Kerrie

These are some of my sisters. When we were younger, Kerrie and I looked like twins until I was about 8. People thought we were twins, and we often even had the same outfits, thanks to my well-meaning mother who thought we were adorable when had the same haircut and wore the same light blue, velvet 101 Dalmatians sweat suit (thanks Mom!). And then as I got older, I started to look a lot like Brooke. Now that we’re all adults Brooke and Kerrie look the most alike.

Oh how the years change us. Not just the way we look; every experience we have shapes and molds us into something newer. It’s a whole new way to look at aging. We’re not getting older, we’re growing newer. With each passing day.

Isaiah 64:8
Yet, O Lord, you are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand. 

Jeremiah 18:4-6
“...But the pot he was shaping from the clay was marred in his hands; so the potter formed it into another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him. Then the word of the Lord came to me: “O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter does?” declares the Lord. “Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel.

We have to believe that as time goes by, and the Lord continues to mold and shape us like clay in a potter’s hands, we are not aging into someone less valuable, but growing newer, into someone who looks more like Jesus every day, and whose value never depreciates in the eyes of the Lord.

As Brooke wrote about the other day, we are away for Kerrie’s college graduation. Of course, there’s been reminiscing, stories from our mom about when we were little, and celebrating where we are now (especially for KerrieKerrie!).

When I think back on the different experiences that have definitely been God molding me into the woman He had more in mind when He created me, I can’t help but whisper sweet praises of thanks to Him. I wonder how my daily attitude may change if I consider each experience from this perspective. We have the most creative Potter any clay could hope for. He created beauty, and takes responsibly for molding our mangled selves into something more beauty-filled with each experience this life brings.

We’re not aging; we’re growing newer, and more beauty-filled with each experience. With each move of the Potter’s hands, we have the opportunity to embrace growth and change that will make us more like the women God created us to be. Time and change don’t have to be negative things.

I, for one, and very thankful for the changes the Lord has made in my life, and in each of my sisters’ lives. I am very proud of both and them. I pray that we can all see the potential for Beauty-full change in each of our experiences and that we can embrace the creativity of our Potter as we grow newer each passing year.


In Him,
Jill

No comments: