Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2012

To Friendship


I just returned from vacation for a week and a half. Last weekend it was my younger sister’s college graduation, and this weekend was the wedding of one of my best and oldest true friends. This dear friend of mine moved to Florida about 5 years ago. I’ve seen her a few times since then, but being on a college student’s budget did not paint many opportunities to travel into our story.

The last time I saw my friend, Ally, was at my own wedding two years ago. I missed her dearly and didn’t really understand how much until I got to spend so much time with her again this week. In addition to being able to spend so much time with her, I was reconnected with other old friends from years ago.

If this last week taught me anything, it’s that God puts people in our lives for a reason. As we spent time reminiscing about old memories and creating new memories, it became very clear why we’d been friends for so many years: we need one another.

The Bible makes it very clear that we were not meant to be alone and that companionship is vital for survival. I’ve met some people who claim that husbands are the only companions that women need. I so disagree with this statement. For one, no one has ever provided any Biblical backing for it. Secondly, men and women are different. Hello, 6th grade health class. Women fulfill certain needs for women that men can’t fulfill.

We need friends. We need women in our lives to share life with. Husbands are wonderful, great companions. But don’t let that stop you from connecting with other women. We need one another.

Over the years, Ally and I have encouraged one another, cried with one another, kept one another’s secrets, hurt one another, mended one another, and supported one another. We’ve been on many adventures, made friends together, lost friends together, fought together, and made up together. Most of all, we have laughed together.                                                  


If there are friends in your life you’ve lost touch with, I encourage you to see if it would be nice to reconnect with them. I encourage you to think about some of the ways women meet needs you have that a man can’t meet. I encourage you to examine what kind of friend you are, and consider the importance of good friends for you and other women out there. Let’s make a effort together to be the friend that other women need.

Congratulations to my dear friend, Ally. I pray that your marriage is blessed and filled with the love and peace of Christ.


Jill

No comments: