Pages

Friday, May 25, 2012

Wrong Way!


Today I got on the highway going the wrong direction. I was on auto-pilot. I usually take 495 SOUTH to meet with people in Taunton, but today, I was supposed to take 495 NORTH to meet someone in Franklin. So, I hopped on 495 SOUTH and one exit down I said to myself, “JILLIAN! You got on the wrong way! ...oh, no you didn’t...good, never mind”...and continued to drive in the wrong direction. A few exits down it really hit me that I’m going the wrong way. I got off, turned around, and got on 495 NORTH. Then my gas light came on. Needless to say, I’m going to be late. I had planned on meeting this person at 8:30; I got there at about 8:50. Not too bad, considering.

So often we get on auto-pilot with life, and miss the direction God actually wants us to go. We get so busy and our priorities get so out of whack that we end up convincing ourselves “oh, I’m going the right direction...”

When we don’t take time each day to foster our relationship with God, we can miss big things He has for us. I struggle with this, and know I’m not alone. I’m a busy girl, and I want certain things for my life. But more importantly, I want what God wants for my life. I’m a better person with Him and my life is better with Him. But I have to put the time and effort in.

Do you have an effortlessly intimate relationship with your friends/children/spouse/parents? Most likely not. We have to put the work in. This is where our priorities make us fall apart. We end up prioritizing other things before our relationship with God and before long we’re going the wrong direction.

Then, by the time we finally realize it, we’re “out of gas” and exhausted because we’ve been living by our own strength instead of fostering that relationship with God and living on His strength. And at that point, we’re late. Our stubbornness or pride or disobedience or wrong motives or sin or lack of commitment may have made us miss something big that God had for us.

I want to be going the right direction. I don’t want to waste my life chasing the fleeting things of this world when God has so much more for me. I want His path. All the time. Easier said than done. And if anyone has figured out how to never get turned around, let me know. Until then, I’ll be praying these verses over my life and my family:

Psalm 16:11-“You have made known to me the path of life; You will fill me with joy in Your presence”

Psalm 23:3-“...He guides me in paths of righteousness, for His name’s sake...”

Psalm 25:4-“Show me Your ways, O Lord, teach me Your paths, guide me in Your truth and teach me...”

Psalm 119:32-“I run to the path of your commandments, for you have set my heart free.”

Proverbs 3:6-“In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your path straight.”

Proverbs 4:11-15“I guide you in the way of wisdom and lead you along straight paths. When you walk, your steps will not be hampered; when you run, you will not stumble. Hold on to instruction, do not let it go; guard it well, for it is your life. DO not step foot on the path of the wicked or walk in the way of evil men. Avoid it, do not travel on it; turn from it and go on your way.”


Have a great weekend,
Jill

No comments: