Pages

Thursday, May 31, 2012

HIS Love Never Fails

Lately I have been outreaching to some people and in addition have been spontaneously contacted by some others. They’ve all needed to talk. All of them have had a lot going on in their lives. (Who doesn’t, right?) 

The truth about each of them, and perhaps us too, is that a lot has gone on in all of our lives and continues to, both in the past and in the present. And until or unless we get past our past we can be hugely affected by it. We make judgments and choices, responses and reactions, mistakes and excuses, so often based on where we’ve been. And this can be true for those who are without a faith, new to the faith and mature in their faith.

Some of the dear ones I have talked with recently have needed to talk about old stuff and new stuff, and at times even stuff coming up. Sometimes the truth doesn’t dare stretch its neck out for fear of humiliation or retaliation or the anticipation of yet another apathetic response. When it comes to sharing the hard stuff, the old stuff, and the hurt places with someone, there needs to be relationship, trust, and a sense of safety and security.

Sometimes you just need to let the good, the bad and the ugly out and know that it will be heard and accepted unconditionally. Being the brave talker or the tender listener takes a God-grounded kind of trust and love that we don’t always come by naturally. (Can I get an “Amen?”)

So it would seem that both the talker and the listener have a deep need for HIS love to be in the midst of every conversation.

1 Peter 4:8 Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.

1 John 4:18a There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear…

In Brooke’s candid post yesterday The Problem with Grace and Mercy I liked that she defined both grace and mercy. And I really appreciated that she talked honestly about how we all can so misuse and distort our versions of them. I also read between the lines that her quest to get an answer was based on her love for another and for the truth.

Isn’t that what confession is? Isn’t it freely and safely talking about what we’ve done wrong or what wrongs have been done to us?

James 5:16 says, Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed.

Easy, right? Sometimes. With certain people, about certain things, but not about everything. We all sometimes just naturally don’t expect to be accepted or comforted or forgiven.

And yet once the truth gets out there, while the words are lingering in the atmosphere, true grace and mercy can fall on them. And it might even be expressed through us!

Once we have experienced authentic versions of HIS grace and mercy, and the changing course that they take us on, we have a tall order; one that I fall short of, I must confess.

II Corinthians 1:3-5 states, Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. 5 For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows.

One of the people I visited with this week had some former distresses that I could relate to so I could offer understanding. She also shared some serious tales of anguish that I couldn’t relate to, couldn’t even fathom. I must admit that hearing her woes made me feel sad, irritated, powerless and provoked. I wanted to leave the conversation for selfish reasons or take action for the sake of the victim before me. But my place at that moment was to just love by listening.

1 Corinthians 13: 7-8a Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

Love - HIS love - It’s what keeps me running, and it’s what keeps me from running away.

In the midst of all the stuff that goes on in our lives, I am so grateful for the LOVE, grace, mercy, truth, comfort, hope and healing that I find in the Word of God.

Gratefully HIS,

Jan

No comments: