Pages

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Holding Up

The other day, Kerrie was standing on a chair, checking to see what kind of light bulbs I needed to buy.  I don't remember why, but it ended up taking longer than we thought, and she started complaining about her arms being tired.  Helpful sister that I am, I put my hands on her elbows, and held up her arms for her.  It was meant to be a ridiculous gesture, but like most ridiculous things, it got me thinking.

We all remember the story from Exodus (chapter 17) when the Israelites were warring with the Amalekites, and Moses sent Joshua out to fight them. As long as Moses held up his hands, the Israelites were winning, and when he lowered his hands, they weren't. Since wars are long, and Moses is human, his arms got tired. Luckily, he had a brother and a friend, and they got him a rock to sit on, and held up his arms for him. In the end, Joshua and the Israelites defeated the Amalekites, and all was well in the wilderness again.

Kerrie's arms getting tired was not war-winning, or even life changing, but it started me thinking about the different ways we 'hold up each other arms' in this day and age.

For me, it's Jill and Kerrie offering endless support with Heather, and any other random children who happen to be here.
It's texts asking how my day was.  Last week it was one telling me that I'm the perfect me.
It's Jane, threatening bodily harm to anyone who hurts me.
It's Dad, telling us we're his favorite, and knowing that he's so good at loving us that we all believe it.
It's the help that shows up at the soup kitchen each month, and those who only come when they can.
It's people praying for me, and telling me so.  
It's the babysitter who swears she loves my kids, even though I'm sure they drive her crazy.

Everyday occurrences that we often don't think twice about, are what keep us pulled together, keep us sane.

These examples are just where I am in life right now.. There are different ones from different points in my life.

Financial support when I've needed it.
More moral support that any normal person should need.
Being welcomed into someone else's family when you're convinced your own doesn't understand.
Listening ears and shoulders to cry on and hugs.


I don't know what it looks like for you, but I hope you have people who 'hold up your arms' for you too.

More than that, I hope that we take time out of busy lives to hold up someone else's. I'm guessing that Aaron and Hur were just as blessed as Moses by God's faithfulness in delivering the Israelites, even though, technically, it was Moses' arms that were the "official" tools of that deliverance.

We should seek to be a blessing to others.  Jill's post on Friday talked about the type of friends we need, and it stands to reason that that's the type of friend we should be as well.


I know that I'll be seeking more ways to be that friend, knowing how grateful I am to have those friends.


Brooke






No comments: