Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Open Doors. Open Hearts.



Two weeks ago I received a phone call from my pastor asking if  we would open our home to six students for one week. I didn't hesitate even a second before the word "Yes" slipped from my lips.

These six students were coming  to the area to evangelize at a local college and I was excited for their arrival even though it was coming at a very busy time. My oldest son is graduating this week among other events on the calendar.

These six young people were in need and I was grateful that I had the space and could help. I love people and I love the opportunity to open the doors of my home to others.  I found out that there would be four young women and two young men coming so I began my preparations.

 I made beds and moved furniture to accommodate them, I tried to create private spaces with the coziness of home. I prayed over the rooms and hoped that God's purposes would be fulfilled while they were here.

And I wrote them a little note on my kitchen chalkboard. I wanted them to know they were welcome here.

Then another phone call came from a person in desperate need of temporary housing and my husband said "Yes". So we began rearranging and making preparations for seven people to join our family.

Arrival day came. The doors to my home were open and everyone moved in to their respective spaces.

 Suitcases, boxes, refrigerator packed with food and those awkward moments as we all tried to remember each others names.

After everyone was settled in  we gathered at the table for our first meal together. The doors to hearts flew open and we began to share.

We shared about our pasts. We shared about how God touched our lives. We talked about our futures. We shared funny stories and even our embarrassing stories and we laughed.

During the week there were many quiet moments shared one on one. There were many meals shared elbow to elbow around the table. There was prayer and worship and games of pool and darts. There were new friendships forged.

 As God worked in and through us, as we touched each other lives our lives became more beauty full!

They have gone now except for our one friend in need. The house is quiet and the fridge is nearly empty but our hearts our full or gratitude.

The gift of hospitality is truly that- a gift. When we open our hearts and lives to God's people, loving them like family , God pours such blessings into our lives.

I know that my family is all the richer from having shared our home and our hearts.

I found a little message on my chalkboard after they had left and it touched my heart the same way I had hoped that my message would do for them.



I plan on leaving this note there for a few days as a reminder of the blessings that come from open doors and open hearts and saying "Yes" to God!!!

Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality. Romans 12:13

Humbly,
ruthann

No comments: