Pages

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Blessed Acquaintance


I recently stopped in to visit an 88 year old woman who I’ve known in a casual but meaningful way for over 35 years. Our first meeting was when we both took our first college class together. I was a young mom, a saddened new divorcee, looking for a new start. She was a saddened new widow, also looking for a new start. What an encouragement she was to me back then. Not for anything in particular that she said. But mostly for the enthusiasm that radiated from her about anything she spoke about and how special she made those around her feel.

After that term we both continued our studies, at totally different paces and places. But living in the same town we would occasionally see one another and it was always like having an exciting though brief class reunion. Her zest for life was contagious. Her practicality was refreshing. Her honesty was both comforting and motivating. Running into her was always like unwrapping a little gift box filled with unexpected treats. As the years went by we discovered that although from different denominations, we shared a deep faith in the same Lord.

I remember never thinking about how old she might be until many years into our relationship; six years ago to be exact. On that occasion I saw her when I was out with my grandkids. She was serving as an energetic volunteer at a public location geared toward family fun. I remember asking her how old she was and being rather astounded that she was in her 80’s. We talked of how she had earned her college degree a little at a time, simply for the joy of learning and being with others. I found myself bragging on her to my grandkids, (instead of the customary reverse of that). I wanted my grandkids to recognize the enormous devotion to life that this woman had.

It was later on that day that I realized I was the age that she had been when I first met her. It made me ponder the great worth her acquaintance had given to me, which she had shared so naturally, humbly, and with little awareness. I had benefitted from her years and I wanted to make that difference for others.

In subsequent times of running into her I’ve made it a point to tell her how much she has inspired and encouraged me over the years during our casual encounters. She has always quickly brushed off any accolades and then has shared with me that our few-and-far-between moments together have brought her a special joy too. Our hugs have taken on more warmth and vulnerability. Our sharing has become more personal at times. But mostly we have just given each other little pieces of being cherished.

This most recent visit to her was brief and impromptu. She was ill and not feeling up to chatting. But the affection I have for her welled up and overflowed in gratitude to God, prayers for her comfort, and the simple holding of her hand.

I have learned much from this simple relationship. Oh, that my plain acts of living would be an encouragement to those around me, at all the ages and stages of my life, whether I know it or not. Perhaps the dearest ways for Jesus to bless others is when we don’t know we’re doing it.

Gratefully HIS,

Jan 

No comments: