Pages

Friday, August 3, 2012

"Suddenly"

A few weeks ago, a guest pastor at my church spoke about when “suddenly” happened in our lives. How do we react when “suddenly” happens?

He talked about how, often, when “suddenly” happens, we respond with our natural reactions, our instinctive nature. We freeze with fear, or run for safety. Even when we’ve been walking with the Lord for years, we may trip up.

He made the point that when “suddenly” is happening in our lives, we may fail to pull out the tools we have in Christ. The tools we’ve known since Sunday School as little kids. The tools that teach that we can do all things in Christ our strength (Philippians 4:13), that in all things, God works for the good of those who love him (Romans 8:28), that He who began a good work is faithful to complete it (Philippians 1:6), that we should not be anxious about anything, but be in prayer (Philippians 4:6), that our light an momentary troubles are nothing compared to an eternal glory (2 Corinthians 4:17)...you get the picture

I’m sure it was no coincidence that I heard that message a few weeks ago because last week, “suddenly” happened for me. I was thankful that God had just reminded me about the tools I have in Christ. I was thankful that the Holy Spirit had prepared me to not react with fear and anxiety like I normally would have.

I was encouraged that my “instinctive nature” was to stand firm in the promise that “the plans of the Lord stand firm forever, the purposes of His heart through all generations (Psalm 32:11). To know that “The eyes of the Lord are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love, to deliver them from death and keep them alive in famine (Psalm 32:18-190.

When “suddenly” happened, I could say that “We wait in hope for the Lord; He is our help and shield. In Him our hearts rejoice for we trust in His holy name. May Your unfailing love rest upon us, O Lord, even as we put our hope in You (Psalm 32:20-22).

I hope that we’re rehearsing for “suddenly” in our everyday walk. I hope we’re living in the Spirit so that THAT becomes our instinctive nature. I pray that we don’t freeze in fear or run for safety when “suddenly” happens, but trust and hop in God for refuge and strength.

In Christ,
Jill

No comments: