Pages

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Check-Up


I need to get my car inspected this month. My car is 2 years old, (newest car I’ve ever had!) It’s in good shape and should pass; no problem. But I still need to keep her gassed and oiled and washed when she needs it, not just at inspection time.

I’ve been practicing a new eating plan and go weekly for encouragement and accountability. If I don’t work the plan, I am not pleased with the results. This past week it was time to get my annual physical and lab work and the week before that I had to get a routine bone density test. When everything came back fine, I was so grateful. I passed inspection, with better grades than before because I have been working on maintaining a healthier lifestyle, with the help of some dear friends.

My washing machine has been doing funny things lately, like requiring me nearly every time to give the spin cycle a jumpstart. Then recently I noticed some water under the washer after the cycle was finished. Now I could get the washer inspected too, maybe even repaired I suppose, but that trusty old machine is 27 years old and pretty worn out, so I have decided it is going to “washing machine paradise” and will soon be replaced with a new and improved model.

It did get me thinking about how periodic check-ups are important. They give us motivation to practice better habits. They also give us a status update; a reason to rejoice if all is well, or to make improvements if they’re needed. On occasion they let us know that replacement with something better might be best.

I take a lot of things for granted in my daily life. Like the certainty that my car will start each day when I turn the key. Or the assurance that my clothes will get clean either when I help turn the tub or when I make a decision to get a new one. Even my physical health is something I don’t give a lot of thought to, thank you, God.

But the day-to-day safeguards and disciplines that have become habits are what help me stay on track, not the intermittent assessments.

My walk with God needs both; the day-by-day safeguards and habits plus some regular self-   assessment and checking in with others.

Hebrews 12:11 states:

“No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

James 1:3 says it this way:
 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.

 

Hebrews 10:24 declares:
“And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds
.”

 

We so need each other. And when we keep on keeping on, our Father is pleased with us. He is never looking to trade us in for a new model. His plan is to refine us into a deeper beauty and purpose than ever.

 

To all you Beauty-Full ladies who are helping others with their day-to-day upkeep of faith, sometimes even reaching down and giving someone’s proverbial tub a helping spin to get moving again, bless you. And for any who are involved in their own or a sister’s sporadic faith- walk appraisals, keep up the good work. When the Master Physician, Mechanic, Personal Trainer, etc. is the Lord, you’re in for the best Check-Up.

 

Gratefully HIS,

 

Jan

No comments: