Pages

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Goodbyes

Today we said a somewhat bittersweet goodbye to one of the kids who had been with me since Oct 2011.  It's bittersweet because the poor girl has been moved around countless times in her short life, and it just isn't fair.  It's not fair that her family can't take care of her. It's not fair that she hasn't gotten the she needs help with the emotional issues that she has. It's not fair that the rest of her siblings are together, and she's alone. It's not fair that once I realize I can't help someone, it becomes too hard to even try.

So, we packed her up, and I drove her to her new house almost an hour away from the life she's had for the past 10 months. Almost an hour away from her parents, who live down the street from me. Almost an hour away from the few friends she made here. Almost an hour away from a particular 15 year old boy she's had a crush on since Christmas ( I think because of his Beiber-like hair).  But it's also an hour away from a terrible teacher, and the kids who picked on her. It's an hour away from her parents, and maybe the distance will help with the inevitable closure that's coming. It's an hour away from Heather, who has more toys than her. It's an hour away from the other little girl in my house, who is going home to her mom soon. It's an hour away from me, who can't help her anymore.

I spent my return hour praying for her, and her new 'family', that she would feel welcomed, and loved. That these next people will be better than I at helping her through the next phase in her life, which will be a tough one. That her new school will accept her, and that her desk will be next to a girl who loves Justin Beiber as much as she does, but also loves math. I also prayed that her sticky fingers would un-stick, and that she would hold off on the tantrum-throwing for a bit. I prayed that God would remind her of the good things we shared, and flush the bad times right out of her mind.

Will you pray with me?  As much as she drove me crazy, she's lost in so many ways...

Brooke


No comments: