Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Uniform



Have you ever noticed how the events that you rehearse in your mind frequently never come to pass even remotely the way you pictured them? I think we all do this. Or is it just me?

It certainly makes me realize that my thoughts, often motivated by my emotions, cause my will to take over and waste time on the foolishness of undetermined perceptions. Even more purposeless is when I change the mock scenario at a whim.

This morning as I was reviewing my week thus far with the Lord, I realized in retrospect that the events that had transpired that were good had not come from my thinking, but from the Hand of God.

James 1:17 says it this way:
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.

The workings of our soul – our mind, will and emotions – can be pretty presumptuous and fickle. So in my prayer time today I found myself asking God to draft my soul, with the word “draft” meaning “take my soul (mind, will, emotions) over into His army, even if against my will”. My hope and desire is that my mind, will and emotions will become Uniform with His; standardized, consistent, unvarying.

I loved Ruthann’s post this week, Fall 2012 Beauty Tip because it spoke of putting on the best garment which is “Love”.

Well I guess because my soulish realm has seemed a bit undisciplined lately, along with “Love” I think I need to put on a clean uniform for my soul.

As an active reserve member in God’s army I’m thinking I need a refresher in basic training at times. (You know, like an Army reservist goes off for active duty training weekends.)

I am so glad my Commanding Officer portrays Himself as a Shepherd.

Psalm 23:3 says it this way:
He restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name’s sake.

I need to try my uniform on regularly, see how it fits, and submit to alterations if needed. When it fits well, there is something strikingly Beauty-Full about a crisp and polished army uniform.

Gratefully HIS,

Jan

No comments: