Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2012

What’s New?


I awoke to a refreshingly cool crisp morning and thought “How appropriate.” September approaches; a new month that ushers in a new season. School days are beginning for many; new teachers, new friends, new clothes, new challenges. Speeches and ads prepare the way for an election that looms before us; a new term or a new president? Garden centers display the customary mums; new plantings to take the place of the colors of summer’s glory.

For the most part we love “new”. Newness is beauty-full! It’s exciting, invigorating and motivating. The trouble with “new” is that by its very nature it is swiftly gone.

However we get a new start every day; every moment even. God’s mercies and compassion are new every morning, and every moment that we communicate our need to Him.

I recently brought to the Lord some old recollections that surfaced that I honestly didn’t remember if I had ever acknowledged to him with a repentant heart. I immediately experienced a glorious impression of Holy Spirit’s presence. I honestly felt renewed in my thinking, my attitude, and my emotions. I even felt different physically; lighter, dreamier, emptier yet also fuller all at the same time. It was a “new” that I didn’t want to fade away.

The Word of God says to put off the old and put on the new.

Ephesians 4:22-24
You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.

I got a perspective on this concept in the natural just over the past couple of days. I went school shopping with two of my granddaughters for a few hours. With little coaxing they were both able to take off and try on a number of pants, tops and shoes in record time so that they could choose the “new” that they desired.

I also reviewed my day yesterday and realized that in the span of 15 hours I went from bed clothes to walking clothes, then my shower robe, followed by donning my professional suit attire for an interview. After a successful and hopeful interview I too went shopping and carried 11 clearance items into the dressing room for some quick change exercise. (I only bought 2 items.) When I got home I immediately changed into my comfies to cook dinner, but then accepted an invitation to a meeting where my comfies needed to be replaced by decent casuals.

As females we sure know how to put off old things and put on new. But we also sometimes spend inordinate amounts of time just putting on the old again.

However “new” looks Beauty-full on you. The truth is “new” looks good on everyone. Let someone know today about God’s “new” mercies and compassion.


Lamentations 3:22-24

Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.  They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.

2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come.

Gratefully HIS,
Jan

No comments: