Pages

Friday, August 31, 2012

Dreams

I’m doing Kelly Minter’s study on Nehemiah right now. I’m only in the second week and have been so convicted already. At the beginning of this week’s lesson, Kelly says something like, “God is a jealous God-He does not want to share you with your American Dream.”

Well that just about did me in. I often fool myself into thinking that I’m not one of those women who just wants her own little “American Dream”…but I am…and I do. I want the house to decorate and the babies to raise and the cushy little life that I think would be easier.

I know in my head that it won’t necessarily be easier, and I know in my head that life is about so much more than that-but what do I desire in my heart?

I’ve been wanting to do Max Lucado’s study, “Outlive Your Life” for over a year now….but avoid it like the plague because I’m terrified that I’ll fail  to put in place the changes I’m convicted to make.

In the grand scheme of things, I do want so much more than any “American Dream” I can build for myself and my family. I want God’s dream for my life and family. I want to live for Him and not for myself. I want to make a difference in the lives of people that will “outlive my life.” I want to store up treasures in Heaven and not on earth (Mt 6:20).

Despite what I want in the grand scheme of things, it’s difficult for me to live that large in my day-to-day. So, like Paul says, I’ll continue to work out my salvation (Philippians 2:12)…and with God’s grace and mercy, abandon my own American Dream and trust in His faithfulness to lead me where He wants me to follow.

Be blessed,
Jill

No comments: